Friday, July 1, 2011

Couldn't find it.

So it's probably apparent that I couldn't find the recipe I was looking for, hence my not posting it or really anything for the last few days. Sorry, guys. I'll try harder to stay on top of stuff.

Today's recipe should totally make up for missing those few days. I call it Pasta Salad Stuffed Tomatoes and it's perfect for a hot day. I've been dreaming about it all day because I live in Kansas and it's been over 100 degrees F for the last few days (literally deadly). This can be served warm or cold and both ways it's a treat. I use orzo (which looks like rice) or really any small pasta (stars, acini de pepe, or pastina, work well) so my kids never think that they're eating another pasta dish. What can I say? I'm Italian at heart and so is most of my cooking.

Pasta Salad Stuffed Tomatoes

1 cup uncooked orzo or other small pasta
1 pkg. diced, cooked chicken breast
1 cup crumbled feta or Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 c chopped fresh basil
1/4 c sun-dried tomato pesto (if you can't find this then mix even parts drained-sun dried tomatoes and pesto. It won't be the same, but it will still taste yum.)
1/4 t salt
2 T lemon juice
4 medium tomatoes

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Rinse with water to cool; drain well.
2. Meanwhile, combine chicken, cheese, basil, pesto & salt. Stir gently to mix and refrigerate until pasta is cooled and ready.
3. Add orzo to chicken mixture. Toss gently. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
4. To make tomato cups, cut off stem end and scoop out pulp; discard. Spoon salad mixture into tomato cups.
5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment