Sunday, January 23, 2011

What's for dinner? Chicken Tortilla Soup

My children are constantly asking this question.  And I'll be honest, I've typed it into Google search a few times myself.  Well, moms and dads, today's answer is Chicken Tortilla Soup.  It's made in the slow cooker and is easily adjusted.  My own children (aged 2 and 6) ate it up without complaint.  This behavior was highly unusual since my 6 year old hates anything "spicy" (flavored at all) and my 2 year old is hesitant about soups and green herbs in general.  I hope your family enjoys as much as mine did.

Chicken Tortilla Soup via Slow Cooker

Ingredients:
4 frozen chicken breasts (you can use already cooked and shredded, but I'm lazy)
2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies (I like Ro*Tel.)
1 can tomato sauce
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 med. onion, chopped
1 t. minced garlic (2 cloves or straight from the jar)
1 t. cumin
1 t. chili powder
1 t. sea salt flakes (I'm sure reg salt would be just fine.)
1/4 t. pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (12 oz) pkg of frozen corn
2 T dried cilantro or 4 T parsley
1 1/2 cups of water
1 can chicken broth
chips (optional)
cheddar cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
tortilla strips (optional)

1. Place ingredients down through chicken broth in slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4.
3. Take out chicken and shred with two forks on a plate or cutting board.
4. Stir chicken back in and serve.  Add optional ingredients as desired.
5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment