Tuesday, July 26, 2011

From the dregs of the pantry...

Comes Hamburger-Ramen-Vegetable-Thing! So I'm sitting in my kitchen today having come home very late from what could have been (but wasn't) an awesome seminar. My kids are hungry; my husband is already home; I'm tired; and the last thing I wanted to do was cook. I didn't really want to order-in either because we've been eating a LOT of pizza lately due to Birthdays, Anniversaries, and Vacation. So I'm staring at this pound of beef I thawed out and I'm trying to decide what to do with it, when I get the idea to just sort of go at it with the basics. That's how I came up with this surprising tasty bit of one skillet supper. It's not fancy, but the kids ate seconds and so did my husband. It was perfect for a quick meal and will definitely go on my list of regular, and inexpensive dinners.

Hamburger-Ramen-Vegetable-Thing

1 lb. ground beef
2 cups water
1 can cream of mushroom
2 1/2 cups frozen veggies (I used 1 1/2 cups frozen carrots, 1/2 cup frozen peas, 1/2 cup frozen corn)
1 can of mushroom stems and pieces (with juice)
3 pkg of chicken flavored ramen with seasoning.

Okay, ready for the super easy part? Brown beef. Drain. Wipe down skillet with a paper towel to get the excess grease. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes until ramen and veggies are soft and warm. Absolutely no talent needed. I also tried it with a little sour cream. It gave it a stroganoff-y sort of taste. If you're after that flavor, then I would add about 3/4 cup right at the end. Simple. I didn't even add any additional spices since the ramen seasoning did that for me. The sodium content was probably outrageous, but I'm pretending like I didn't notice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment