Friday, January 28, 2011

Play with your food: Brat Split

We served hot dogs at my son's 5 birthday party a few years ago and I wish I would have done this then.  It's such a neat presentation of the basic BBQ foods and it encourages kids to eat all of the different choices... or at least try them.  So today I'm going to give you directions for making a "Brat split".

Ingredients (and I use this term lightly):

1. Hot dogs, Bratwurst or other sausage
2. Pasta or Macaroni salad
3. Potato salad
4. Coleslaw
5. Steak Sauce
6. Mustard
7. Mashed Potatoes
8. Pickle Relish
9. Cherry tomatoes

So here's how it works:

Split the hot dogs in half lengthwise and place in a banana split dish or oval dish.  Place an ice cream scoop sized portion of the three salads inside of the hot dog.  Use the mustard as "ice cream condiments" and drizzle over the appropriate salad.  (i.e. the mustard represents caramel topping and the steak sauce represents hot fudge.)  Place a dollop of mashed potatoes over the center scoop to represent the whipped topping and add a cherry tomato on top.  I'm making this tonight for dinner and we'll see if it encourages my boys to sample foods that they would normally dismiss outright.  Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment