Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday's Tips and Tricks: Cleaning burnt food off pans

So I use anodized, non-stick pans when I cook.  They're great.  But they need to be washed by hand so they don't lose their effectiveness. Very rarely does anything stick when I cook.  However, when my husband cooks, there tends to be more food that boils over, chars, and surprisingly sticks.  Scrubbing pans is a real pain in the butt and I risk scratching the coating by using anything too harsh.  So I've found two great ways to "deglaze" the pans.

The first is used while the pan is still hot and on a burner.  Just add liquid.  Pretty much any liquid will do, leftover broth, water, whatever.  The liquid will pull up the stuck on pieces.

The second is used when the pan has already cooled.  In my house, this is the technique I use after I come home and find my pans all disgusting from sitting for a while.  (I can't really complain though.  At least this way I know he's feeding the kids.)  To pull the nasties off these pans I put them on the stove with a thin layer of clean dishwater (yes, add soap).  Heat the water to boil and that will take off the crusties.  If you're cleaning a soup pot or something larger and the yuckies are up the sides or around the rim, then use tongs to hold a sponge and use the heated water to wipe the sides.  Once again, it'll take it right off. 

Happy Cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment